Saturday, April 7, 2012

Weeding in the Mud

Not many potatoes up in the north bed yet, but plenty of weeds,
mostly grass.

Our former entrance onto the land, from the neighbors' field.  It's a good thing we didn't have to drive that way today.  I'm not feeling good about our odds with the mud.

The garlic looks amazing!

The kids' garden potatoes are growing by leaps and bounds.  I am a little concerned since I spied buds on a plant, and it's awfully early to be flowering!

More potatoes that are up! 

I can see how much the compost application improves the soil.  Can you tell where the compost heap was last year?

We have a new favorite tool, called the Rogue hoe, recommended to us by a friend several years ago.  It's taken a while for us to remember to order when we could actually afford to pay for an expensive hoe.  Yes, they are significantly more costly than a $5 hoe from Walmart or Mendards, but you know what happens to those around here, right?  I ordered three different sizes, one of which is massive and another of which is miniscule, as I wanted us to test which is best for us.  James and I will probably choose different favorites, but he's taller and stronger than I, so no surprise.  I can say I love that they can take out honey locust saplings in one good whack (or maybe two, for me!).

Until next time, remember, this is not paradise.  It's Purgatory Ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment