Friday, December 3, 2010

More Home Cooking...

On Tuesday, I made chili powder and bone meal.

I dried all the remaining peppers from our garden and my dad, with a result of approximately 2 cups of dried pepper strips.  It's best to use peppers like cayenne or ancho chilis, but I used what I had.  Then I toasted 2 T. cumin seeds.  Finally, the peppers, cumin, 2 T oregano, a dash of paprika (the last of the bottle, or I would have used 1 T) and 2 T garlic powder went into the blender, only to come out (after a minute to settle the powder) as a multi-colored chili powder.  Now to see how spicy it is.  Mmmm...

Bone meal contains excellent amount of phosphorus, so it's used as a fertilizer in the garden.  It's pretty easy to make, just time consuming...

After you've cooked a whole chicken, save the bones.  Simmer the bones with water and veggies (carrots, celery, onions, garlic, a bay leaf, oregano - what sounds good to you?) until it's done.  I put it all in my slow cooker on low overnight.  Then clean any remaining meat, tissue, or fat off the bones.  Spread them out on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 300 degrees F for 3 hours.  I then put them in a plastic bag and ran over them with my rolling pin.  They were fairly brittle by then, so they broke easily.  Next time, I'll use something more durable than a plastic bag, but it worked for this time, and one less item ended up in the trash.

(We had another house showing yesterday, so say a prayer that we get an offer!)

Until next time, remember, this is not paradise.  It's Purgatory Ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment