Saturday, January 24, 2015

Clean up, pick up, put away

James and I are both clearly itching to get back to work in the garden.  Last night, on a whim, we raced out after dinner to tidy up as much of the garden as possible in preparation for tilling.  We still had drip hose lines, T-posts, and sunflower stalks to clean up.

Yesterday, I finally stripped the last of the Hopi blue corn from their cobs.  Next up, I'll grind it for blue cornmeal!

This morning, James is away, helping a friend move, but when I reviewed the quantity of things still to be done, I hustled outside as soon as Miss G went to sleep, leaving my trusty Assistant to watch her and JoJo.  I managed to construct a "found materials" compost bin of half a hog panel, a gate, and a pallet.  The winter's accumulation of leaves from the basement door is swept up and ready to decompose.

I also sorted out a pile of odds and ends that were abandoned at some urgent point in the winter.  Wood went to the scrap lumber pile, t posts to their own piles, metal to a pile, and the tipped over stone bench was righted.

The burn barrel needs to be lighted, but I'm exhausted, so that will wait for another day.  I need to finish my seed list, and I'm sure I'll find plenty of other garden-related tasks when Miss G goes back to sleep!

Until next time, remember, this is not paradise.  It's Purgatry Ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment