Thursday, August 15, 2013

Canning Exploits

A long day was had by all at our house yesterday.  It began with defrosting three gallons of skinned tomatoes.  They bubbled away most of the day to join herbs, lemon juice, and salt for 15 pints of tomato sauce.


 Meanwhile, culled tomatoes from Tuesday's picking extravaganza (3 1/2 5-gallon bucket loads) were skinned, cored, and chopped to make 5 quarts of salsa.  Everything but the cilantro was homegrown or in the pantry!

We also had some cucumbers that needed attention, and we've been running low on pickles.  I love that my girls like "our" pickles better than store bought!


See how happy they make her?


We even ended the day with a decent plan for dinner, all the dishes washed, and the bedrooms vacuumed, thanks to my mom!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

  1. I came by to return the blog visit and comment. I love that last photo! Things like that make everything worth it.

    ReplyDelete