Friday, April 8, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

I haven't purchased laundry detergent in more than two years, to the best of my recollections.  My mom did bring me a container of liquid store detergent a few months ago, after I sprained my ankle and wasn't up to making my own (I was trying to lie down as much as possible, in case the ankle was broken).

So, Thursday, when I descended to the basement to start laundry, I was unpleasantly surprised to see that I had used all but one load's worth of detergent.

Gathering the ingredients: I have a hand grater (used only for soap).  For one batch of soap, I need a bar of Fels Naptha or Ivory soap (just plain jane soap... no additives, no fragrances), 6 oz. borax and 6 oz. WASHING soda.  A container to hold the soap.

Grate the soap on the smallest size possible.  In the summer, the soap has a tendency to warm up in my hand and get a bit gummy.  It can always go in the freezer for a little bit to harden up again.

Mix the soap with the borax and washing soap.  Put a lid on the mixture and shake it up.  The borax and soda can kick up some fine powder, so it's easiest to mix it by shaking.

2 Tb. is enough of a big load of laundry.

And now I'm set for the next month.

1 comment: